A Pen Pal Exchange Project for Elementary School Classrooms In Newfoundland and Labrador hosted by Alison Butler of Petit Mail.
Pen Pal Classroom Exchange Partnership
Each pen pal partnership gives the gift of a pen pal classroom exchange between 60 elementary students in Newfoundland and Labrador (2-4 classrooms) and classrooms in other regions or countries to enhance student’s writing skills and enhance interest in, and understanding of, other cultures, supporting geography, social studies and religious studies outcomes.
The Pen Pal Exchange Partnership Includes:
- Custom letter writing stationery and envelopes for 60 Newfoundland and Labrador students AND their pen pals in another country or region.
- 2 in-classroom guest visits to teach letter writing and to learn more about their pen pals lives, cultures etc.
- Online resources to help with letter writing.
- Coordination of pen pal connections with other classrooms around the world (examples: Northern Canada, rural Uganda, Denmark, South America)
- Mailing or transporting pen pal letters to and from their exchange destination.
$20 per student ($1,200 project partnership)
2019 Send Happiness Project – Uganda
In April 2019, Petit Mail partnered with Jorja’s Journeys and Cre8iv Design and Print to create a pen pal exchange between local students at 3 schools in Newfoundland and Labrador (St. Theresa’s Elementary, St. John’s, Octagon Pond Elementary, Paradise, and Goulds Elementary), and students in rural Uganda.
Thanks to Jorja’s Journeys, local students got to see what school is like for children on the other side of the world – and communicate with them as well!
The Send Happiness Project has been an AMAZING experience for everyone involved. It has been so rewarding to interact with students to hear the positive stories from classroom teachers here in Newfoundland and Labrador and this first pilot version of the project has provided massive inspiration to continue the project with other classrooms and exchange partners.
Inspired to Help?
We are looking for like-minded partners to give our students this amazing cross-cultural experience right from their classroom desks. If this project excites you, we want to hear from you!
Please reach out to Alison Butler, Project Manager at email@example.com to continue the conversation.